A chief economist and thought leader focusing on issues at the intersection of economics, technology and business. Leads major thought leadership projects on issues such as next-wave technologies, business futures, and global trends. Published widely in tier-1 media and business publications such as Harvard Business Review, Sloan Management Review, Financial Times, China Daily and Fortune. Speaks on topics such as the economic impact of new technologies and business futures at conferences and industry panels around the world.
IT Skills:word, excel, SPSS, Eviews
Interests:Reading (fiction and non-fiction), gym (weightlifting), travel
Languages:English, Japanese (intermediate level); Mandarin Chinese (intermediate level)
Driving LicenceFull clean driving licence
Oct 2020 - PresentPurdy & Associates
Managing Director - Economics & Technology Advisory
Sep 2007 - Sep 2020Accenture London
Managing Director—Economic Research
- Led Business Futures team (c.6 people) on mega trends shaping business and society.
Create and publish reports and articles related to economics, business and technology
- Created Business Futures scenarios and workshop methodology; run workshops with clients
across different industries to identify future opportunities, threats and challenges
- Led analysis of how next-wave technologies are shaping the future of consumption
- Co-authored two major reports on AI: “Why AI is the future of growth”; “How AI boosts
industry profits and growth”:
- Co-authored Accenture report “The Industrial internet of things: the growth game changer”
- Published widely in tier-I media and business journals on these topics (e.g. HBR)
- Led major report (“The Power of Three”) on China’s productivity challenge
- Regularly speak at economics and industry conferences on topics related to next-wave
technologies such as AI, digital skills, and digital fragmentation
- Advised Accenture’s top leadership on macroeconomic trends affecting business
- Regularly present research insights to a variety of clients
- Contributed to many other thought leadership topics and overall thought leadership agenda
May 2003 - Aug 2007Accenture London
Senior Manager—Policy & Corporate Affairs
- Led thought leadership research on a variety of topics, including globalization, jobs of the future, European competitiveness, and European Single Market.
Oct 2000 - April 2003Accenture London
Manager—Policy & Corporate Affairs
- Led research on a variety of economic/business topics, including scenarios for the future of
globalization, innovating for the upturn, and business responsibility.
- Wrote speeches and articles for Accenture International Chairman on globalization and other topics.
June 1999 - Oct 2000Competition Commission, London
Undertook economic analysis of industry and market structures for monopoly and merger investigations
Jan 1996 - June 1999Consumers’ Association, London
Senior Policy Researcher / Principal Policy Researcher
Undertook policy research on issues such as telecommunications regulation and competition policy.
Regularly represented views in media.
May 1993 – Oct 1993National Economic and Social Council, Dublin
Economist (temporary contract)
Economic research on tourism, labour markets and competition policy for a report on a long-term
strategy for the Irish economy.
1991Trinity College Dublin
M.Litt, in Economics
1991. Dissertation: “The Economics of Non-profit Enterprise”
1988Trinity College Dublin
B.A. Hons in Economics
Achieved a 2. 1 in economics from Trinity College Dublin.
Knowledges & Skills
- Machine Learning
- Digital Twins
- Virtual Reality
- Labour Markets
- Team Management
- Project Management
- Economic Analysis
- Thought Leadership Content Development
- Editing & Writing
- Trends & Scenarios
- Technology Insights
- Regulatory Analysis